These quinoa muffins are great for a healthy and quick snack while you’re on the go. I’ve made these a couple of times and as of today have passed the recipe on to my mother so she can cook them and I’m happy to report that the whole family has certainly given the big thumbs up to these little beauties!
Once you’ve got the hang of the consistency of the mixture, you can make any combinations you like (savoury or sweet).
Makes: 12 muffins
- 230gm quinoa
- 250gm almond meal
- 100gm brown onion
- 100gm red capsicum
- 80gm vintage cheddar cheese
- 100gm bacon
- 1/2 medium red chilli
- 2 x 59gm eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp baking powder
- olive oil for cooking
- Heat oven to 220 degrees fan bake
- Bring a medium pot of unsalted water to a rolling simmer and add quinoa.
- Simmer quinoa for 10 minutes or until the texture has become al dente when you taste it
- Drain quinoa in a fine sieve and run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Cut onion, capsicum, cheese and bacon into a 1cm dice and place items in separate piles on a chopping board or tray.
- Finely dice chilli.
- Heat frypan to an even medium heat and add olive oil, cook bacon until it just becomes crispy then add onion to fry pan and cook until translucent. Turn of fry pan and let it sit.
- In a large mixing bowl add almond meal, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, baking powder.
- In a separate mixing bowl break whole eggs and beat until loosened.
- Add onion, bacon, capsicum, chilli and cheese to egg bowl and mix to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the large mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well until combined.
- Place combined mixture until silicone muffins wells and place in the oven.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown and cooked.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes
- Enjoy while warm!