This week I found myself craving the dreaded KFC (probably because we live right next door to one and every time I went outside, the smell would wash over me like a nagging reminder that I cannot have it at the moment).
So as any stubborn food-a-holic on a diet, I decided to try to make a healthier crunchy coating for my chicken with a bit more flavour and I have to say, it was pretty good and certainly helped with the lingering smells of KFC from next door!
Now please note I was not trying to recreate KFC but instead trying to find a healthy alternative that tastes great with a healthy, crunchy coating (and I am happy to report that I have succeeded in my quest yay).
Minutes to Prepare: 10
Minutes to Cook: 45
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (cut into 1/2 inch even medallions) or 18 chicken winglets
- 1 ½ cup full cream milk or coconut cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 tsp Murray River pink salt
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. sweet Spanish paprika
- 1½ tsp. ground garlic
- 1½ tsp. ground onion
- 1 ½ tsp. ground mustard seed
- ½ tsp. ground thyme
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried tarragon
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted in the microwave
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees
- Soak chicken in milk/coconut cream for at least 1 hour (longer if possible, up to 3 hours is better)
- Pour melted coconut oil into a lipped baking dish lined with foil.
- In a large, shallow bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.
- Take each piece of chicken and shake off excess milk/coconut cream, and dip into flour mixture. Flip it until it’s covered in the mixture. Place each piece of chicken in prepared baking dish, making sure not to overlap pieces.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, then flip each piece.
- Bake for another 15 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and cover with foil to rest for 10 minutes. Cut into a few pieces to ensure they are cooked thoroughly, and the juices run clear.
- Serve and enjoy!