Just because I’m on a diet and cannot have churros doesn’t mean you have to suffer too right?!
So as promised, here is my version of home made churros that my family love! This is great with my home Nutella hot chocolate 🙂
Makes: approximately 26 churros (you can freeze any left over cooked churros and put them in the oven when you want a sweet treat)
- 250ml water
- 150gm plain flour
- 85gm unsalted butter OR 2 TBSP coconut oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp fine brown sugar
- 2 x 59gm extra large eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 11/2 tsp orange zest
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 Litres of vegetable oil in deep fryer
- In a medium sized pot over a medium high heat, bring water, butter/coconut oil to the boil.
- Lower the stove top temperature to medium low heat and add flour, sugar, salt. Beat batter vigorously with a wooden spoon until mixture forms a ball.
- Transfer dough ball to a large mixing bowl and let it cool to the point where it is warm on the back of your hand (approximately 3 minutes) while stirring occasionally.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating vigorously between each egg for 1 minute until the dough mixture comes together again and creates a glossy sheen.
- Place dough mixture in piping bag with #7 star nozzle
- Heat oil in deep-fryer to 180 degrees.
- Pipe strips of dough into deep fryer (getting the dough close to the oil as possible to avoid any splash back).
- Detach dough mixture from piping bag, into the oil with a blunt knife.
- Fry and flip churros for 1 minute each side or until golden and drain on paper towel.
- Combine sugar, orange zest and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Shake churros in cinnamon, orange zest and sugar mixture.