As the name indicates, these buns are a sometimes food!
They are great to put into the freezer after they are cooked and pulled out for an occasional lunch time treat and I hope these buns bring as much joy to your family as they have to mine!
Makes: 6 to 12 buns
- 500gm plain flour
- 7gm caster sugar
- 7gm salt
- 12gm dried yeast
- 320ml of warm water at 40°C
- 180gm Nutella Spread
- 1 x 59gm egg whisked
- 1 Tsp caster sugar
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- Place flour, sugar salt and dried yeast into a large bowl
- Add warm water and combine with blunt knife to form a rough mixture
- Tip mixture out onto a clean work bench dusted with plain flour
- Knead dough for 6 to 8 minutes until it has a smooth look and feel to it
- Place dough back into large bowl and cover with a tea towel to prove for 30 to 45 minutes (you know the dough is ready once it doubles its size)
- Place in a warm and draught free environment until dough has finished proving
- Remove dough from the large bowl and stretch out onto clean work bench to make a rectangle
- Spread Nutella filling evenly over the rectangle shape and roll into a fat cigar (roll from the longest length of the rectangle to the other end)
- Evenly cut dough/cigar into 6 or 12 portions (depending on desired size)
- Place dough swirl side up on non stick lined baking tray and gently press dough down so that Nutella is visible
- Allow it to prove on baking tray for another 15 minutes or until dough has doubled in size again (with tea towel covering dough while on second prove)
- While dough is proving preheat oven on 200°C fan bake
- Whisk egg and caster sugar together
- Cook dough for 20 minutes until the dough starts to become golden
- Bring out of the oven and brush sweet egg mixture onto buns
- Sprinkle buns with brown sugar and place back into the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes until golden brown and produces a hollow sound when the bottom of the bun is tapped.
- Cool buns on wire rack for 10 minutes and enjoy!